Tuesday 5 July 2016

OUCH!

This time I really mean it. OUCH!

About 10 days ago I was unlucky enough to crash head first into a BMW while riding the bike to the produce market  to pick up potatoes for the Rip.  I spent what seemed like an eternity under the bike waiting for medical assistance. Soon I was surrounded by firemen, paramedics and police officers. The paramedics immobilized my neck and strapped me to a board, they then loaded me into the ambulance for 4 hours of pure bliss in the emergency ward. They don't remove you from the board until all the c.t. scans and x-rays are completed.

My upper lip was ripped to shit thanks to my teeth meeting the fender of the BMW. Try being strapped to a board on your back for 3 hours with blood dripping down your throat. It was not my finest hour. There was nothing broken in the neck or back so they unstrapped me and I then waited an hour for a seamstress to come and stitch my mouth. My back and neck have been very stiff and sore but things appear to be healing nicely. The big problem is my front teeth are slightly loose. Those fucking things better not fall out. I also suffered a concussion and that might be the wild card in this adventure.

As I was lying on the couch recovering, it became apparent than I needed a new remote control radio. I have a beauty in the bedroom but the radio in the bat cave has seen better days. Of course the mighty Pioneer receiver has a tuner but I don't like monkeying around with the device that gives me 20 minutes of bliss each evening so it was off to the store. I couldn't find anything that interested me so I decided to hook up an old yamaha receiver.

I found the receiver and was very proud of myself for successfully setting it up. The only problem was I couldn't get any FM reception without one of those little indoor antennas. I have a huge box full of cables  and electronic knick knacks that might or might not have had what I was looking for. Unbelievably, I found the antenna after a few minutes and all was right with the world. It sounded so good that I decided to connect an old Harmon Kardon dvd player in order to play cds. The old dvd player worked perfectly but I lost the remote for it long ago. No problem, it was time to program a Harmony remote. And it fucking worked! I could have programmed the yamaha receiver into the harmony but it gets too goddamned confusing switching that thing back and forth between gadgets. (and i have 3 harmony remotes so the potential for confusion is immense!)

Sonny is out of town so I had to do all this myself.


Billy says he loves you sons of bitches.

14 comments:

  1. holyshit...I'm so glad you weren't seriously hurt, although you were hurt bad enough...that sucks bites and blows..were you on a bike(like in bicycle) or your bike?
    you are so handy..might be worth it to have you come down and hook up my antenna when it shows up..get well soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i'm not really very handy with new stuff. the major problem is my old aging eyes. i need lots of light and strong eye glasses to connect stuff.

      Delete
  2. Damn! The concussion does seem the most worrisome aspect, and everything else (teeth & lip are awful too! I am sorry you have had to go through that.

    Did it also destroy your scooter? Have you made a decision on either keeping the scooter or giving it up? It could be a hard decision. Probably depends on what caused the accident. Were you at fault or did the BMW driver do something asinine? Either way it will be a difficult decision as you really enjoyed the scooter before this.

    It may sound stupid, but be sure to drink a lot of water.... more than usual.... it will help your lip and teeth recover better and will help decrease any effects of the concussion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i was riding the mountain bike when the accident occurred and that thing is indestructible.

      i've watched swearengen pass his kidney stones about 10 times so i drink plenty of water.

      Delete
  3. I would be saying more then ouch. I guess my only question did they give anything for the pain or suggest like smoking pot.
    Well sure hope you heal right up.
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. they offered some pain killers but i turned them down. the problem with pain killers is you can't tell if you're healing or not.

      Delete
  4. Hell, that's a nasty one, but I guess it could have been worse. I hope the healing process continues in every afflicted part. I'm glad the radio and DVD are providing an interesting diversion - it must mean your hearing is OK!

    ReplyDelete
  5. yeah, it could have been much worse but as they say, god looks after drunks and lunatics.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So, everything is good by now, yes?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad all is well, Mr. Rosewater. Take care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope your mending is going swiftly and well! Miss your writings and comments. How bad was your bicycle damaged (originally I thought you had meant your scooter, but thanks for the clarification).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the mighty iron maiden takes a kickin and keeps on tickin. i just have to get the hammer and a block of wood to straighten a few things out.

      Delete
  9. My god, man, I’m so sorry. You didn’t say who was at fault, but I hope it was the other guy so you can make him pay for it. I’m in so much pain already that I’ve become increasingly timid about riding a bike because I have every thought that I wouldn’t do well in ANY accident. We have three bikes between us, and I’m going to sell one of them because it gets used so little that there’s no point in keeping it.

    If Billy likes us so much, how comes he never visits? I keep wondering if you’re Billy because, to my knowledge, you’ve never said who he is in your life. This leads me to speculate that he represents a part of yourself.

    If I don’t visit someone’s blog for a while, I’m almost guaranteed that when I do, something awful will have happened to them, and sending my condolences long after the fact is a bit like sending a birthday card long after a person’s birthday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P.S. I knew a woman who ran into a car on her bike and got a ticket for failing to yield the right of way. Peggy and I hadn’t gotten a ticket for decades until about four or five years ago when we both got popped at the same time for running the same stop sign on our bikes. We had literally been hurrying to get to a doctor’s appointment.

      Delete