Monday 12 April 2021

only one reality

 my old electric lawnmower finally croaked a few weeks ago. it was a long and painful death that took a few years but she lived a long and fruitful life.  i thought the motor had burned out a few years ago but it was a sears craftsman mower and it refused to die.  this year it was the 2 rust holes that had me thinking it was the end of the line but trying to cut heavy wet grass killed her before she could rust away.

today the adventure was trying to dispose of her which  turned into an unplanned adventure.  the usual recycling depot was shut down  and the city told me to take her to a commercial metal recycling facility that turned out to be very difficult to find. in hindsight, i should have taken the new phone with me and used the map app but the phone hasn't left my desktop since i activated it.

it was a huge commercial operation with a steady flow of huge trucks dumping stuff and there i was walking around with a lawnmower looking like a migrant gardener until a employee came out of the office to tell me i was in the wrong place. when i told him that the city directed me there, he sighed and told me to leave it by some large bins.  upon reaching the bins, i noticed 2 bicycle wheels and being a hard wired scavenger i crawled over some junk and retrieved them.  son of bitch, they had brand new tires and were rock hard!  of course i snagged them and took them home. 

some realities might change, but i'll always be scruffy scavenger at heart. 






4 comments:

  1. Score! I love this song, and many others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am impressed with your dedication to locating a recycling place! For me, I would have simply put it out to the curb with the trash.... we have a contingent of “pickers” who drive around the neighborhoods and pick up things they think they can refurbish and sell. I think your lawnmower would have been scrounged up in just a few minutes by one of our “pickers”.

    PipeTobacco

    ReplyDelete
  3. "if i fall from grace with god" is the song i want playing when the valkyries take me to valhalla.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent work, Mr. Rosewater. I am glad you are still fighting the good fight.

    ReplyDelete